Thursday, November 20, 2014

A quick look at Python

So, within two days time I have completely read over all 21 chapters of Program Arcade Games With Python and done several practice apps to get the hang of the syntax. On a side note, that course is amazing and very well put together so I would highly suggest it to any new programmer.

As the "Final Lab" for it, you are supposed to create your first functional game. I was considering doing this, although I don't need the practice in the same way a new programmer would. I have already developed much more complicated games.

Now that I have a feel for the syntax of Python however, I am not sure if I really enjoy it as much. I am all about efficiency and coding quickly but I think I am still more of a fan of Java. Perhaps you can call it a "First Love" since it is almost the same as Actionscript. Java improves on the things that sucks about Actionscript anyhow.

I like the type safety, and the way that Eclipse easily works together with it (not that it doesn't do pretty well with Python already)

 Another side note to the editor situation...I really wish VIM code complete was anywhere near as good as just using the standard editor within Eclipse. I even tried using eclim, but it just feels so slow and clunky. Obviously going back and editing text files etc can be easily done with VIM I am sure, but perhaps I am just not seeing the draw towards it that many posts are claiming.

Back to Python in that regard also. People are claiming fast dev time and prototyping so being an impatient and efficient minded thinker, it made sense to me to want to learn Python. That said, I know the job market is all about Java and C#. Python seems popular for small and indie companies for the aforementioned benefits of new dev.

I think I may make a pact to myself to occasionally do a Python app just to keep fresh on it, but I overall think it would be best at this point to focus now on learning Java in order to land a job as quickly as possible and get into a better position financially. Generally doing programming for money isn't the best way to go about things, but I really enjoy it from a hobby perspective too so it won't be a big deal for me.

So going full circle here, instead of the "Final Lab" idea in Python, I may just create something similar in Java, and instead come up with my own Python project idea. Perhaps create some sort of editor within Python for my Java ran game. That seems like it would be a better use it perhaps? But then again, Java has all of the GUI editing features right? Tough call, I'll figure it out. That's really all of my thoughts for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment