Thursday, January 15, 2015

All the more reason to study harder

Well bad news bears. Apparently I didn't get the position. I honestly don't know how they could have found anyone even remotely as qualified as I am for the role, but that doesn't matter now. I certainly have even more incentive to get myself prepared for taking on a Jr dev position.

The past two days I SOMEWHAT procrastinated, as I didn't really work on the final rails project and instead brushed up on my Ruby skills by working through about 18 Exercism.io projects. I feel like the majority of my solutions were quite good, and on others I learned enough to refactor them later to a more acceptable form.

I was going to take my time if I got that role, and spend more time learning front end dev...but now I think I am going to finish up this Facebook project and go straight into interview prep before continuing my learning. If I can land a position while learning that would be the best thing for me imo.

I did a fair amount of research and ALMOST bought a chromebook with the money from selling my gaming Asus, however I found that they announced at CES a slightly better version of what I was going to get...the Acer Chromebook 15, which looks to be similar to the C720 I was going to get, but with a bigger screen, IPS display, better sound, and it looks much snazzier I think. I'll just wait for that to get released in the US before I make my purchase.

Well, overall only slightly bummed. I really do wish I had far less bills so that I could bump down to part time and study harder. The main issue I have at the moment is that I literally make JUST BARELY enough to pay my bills without having ANY expendable income whatsoever or ability to eat out more than maybe once...and that's working 100% full time and making the max bonus. In other words, when I don't bonus I'm eating into my savings. What the hell!?

So yea, that's my motivation I suppose. Let's kick it up a notch and get this project done so I have something to show potential employers!


No comments:

Post a Comment