Thursday, February 5, 2015

Dev Update 1/29

Well, things are moving along nicely. I was able to get quite a lot of content brainstormed out, and a few things written for my upcoming blog. I have yet to actually CREATE the blog, as I am in a bit of decision limbo as to how I want to implement it. It will be a section alongside my actual personal website, so I have reservations about doing just a plain wordpress website. I am looking for solutions to get it working with Rails. It would be great if I just had a simple setup that pulled in Markdown. I know there are solutions for that, however I want to make sure I can still have dynamic elements in there, rather than just a static site.

I didn't do nearly as much work on the Facebook-app as I could have. This was due to not focusing on "the most important" tasks. Well, I did start off with it in the morning for 2 hours, but then I transitioned to other things and while I DID a lot of work, it wasn't on the high value stuff. That is something I'll be course correcting going forward. A great quote I heard today was, "When faced with two decisions, choose the one you don't want to do." The idea being that you are focusing on tasks which are difficult, because they generally the most important. Great words of wisdom IMO.

One thing that magically worked out for me, was that I finally put up a craigslist ad to sell my desktop PC, since I am trying to get a laptop in order to be more mobile and attend meetups, and visit the Geekdom coworking space downtown etc. To my surprise, I got a LOT of interested offers right away, and in fact ended up selling my PC AND all of my Youtube recording equipment such as the green screen etc for around 1600. This allowed me to have just enough to afford the new 15" Macbook Pro with retina display. It is a beast!

The downside to that is I'll be waiting until around Tuesday (just under a week). I'll probably jump on my roommates computer and start knocking out some of the CSS and Javascript sections from TOP, since most of that can be done in online editors etc. Other than that, I imagine I can get a good bit of reading done between here and there. Exciting times ahead!

No comments:

Post a Comment