Thursday, December 18, 2014

Another week bites the dust, hey hey!

Man, time seems to be flying right now. Almost all of my focus has been on learning web programming and I am just blazing through the content. It's getting harder to even be present at work however, as all I can think about is getting home to study.

Speaking of my work, let's go on a side tangent here for a sec. I may feel a little bit better if I can get this promotion that I applied for. A position for technical trainer opened up, and I was excited to apply for it. I did well in the initial interview, and was asked to do a 20 minute workshop in front of the entire trainer team. I have a lot of experience doing this, and am in no way worried about public speaking so I believe it went really well. I engaged them during the workshop and made them laugh etc.

I feel training / teaching people is sort of my 'calling' as it brings me a lot of joy. Even though building things and solving problems is the other side of the spectrum which I derive purpose (thus the programming), I have said already that once I get a bit better with it I will most likely come up with a blog, or learning course via Youtube etc that I use to express that knowledge and show other people things I find interesting.

Alright, back to my progress: So I have been using the Trello board here to try and be more organized about what I am learning. It is a LITTLE bit disorganized, as Trello isn't really used for this purpose and I was figuring out the best way to structure it, but the most recent stuff is done well IMO. I may reorganize the older learned material later.

Since my last update, I have actually gone through 42% of the Rails material. The SQL and Active Record section was a HUGE amount of reading. The amount of learning required to nail this down is enormous. I can totally see why though, and I think there is going to be a lot more bumps in the road before I get it down completely.

The thing that will be the real tell of if I am getting the hang of it however, is of course going to be my 'capstone' project that I create for my portfolio. I was at first going to do it right after the Rails section is complete, and then move to looking for jobs. Although I MAY still do that, if I get the trainer position I will feel a lot better about finishing the entire HTML5/CSS3/JS/JQuery sections and really touching up many more projects and beautifying my capstone.

Well, overall things are progressing nicely. Not much more to discuss. Once I get out from behind this massive wall of learning, I will most likely have more interesting discoveries and personal creations to discuss. For now, this blog is just me recapping on how much I've learned and where I am going forward.

Speaking of going forward: I may just leave this blog as somewhat of a personal log...and eventually create a more public website with things people might fight of interest to themselves lol.


No comments:

Post a Comment