Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Hitting some speed bumps, but powering through

Well, I am generally a very quick learner however the past few sections of The Odin Project has kicked my ass. I've been learning about and implementing User Authentication, cookies/sessions, and all of the security involved with getting that right. It has been difficult to nail down, however after completing the last project on my own with minimal searching I feel much better about it.

The good news, is that going forward I can use a framework such as Devise to handle those tasks rather than whipping up my own. I do feel good about understanding everything that is behind the system however.

I'm at the end of the first 'day off' here, and am working through Chapter 11 of RailsTutorials.org. This section is about creating user posts, and ActiveRecord associations which has been much easier for me to understand. On the other hand, there is quit a lot of edge cases where knowing where to look up answers will be useful (which I am fine with).

I have got my Trello board much more organized, and have a consistent tracking method for when I am completing various readings and projects, and I am leaving myself comments about how each part went when necessary. This will be great for me to look back on later and see how things went, as well as find out where my understanding of things has faltered and know perhaps why.

I am now 60% complete with Rails learning, and I hope by the end of tomorrow to be done with the Active Associate projects and maybe even the Advanced Associations / callbacks reading & projects.

Other than rails, I was looking up topics I will want to dig deeper into in order to solidify my chances of getting a good job afterwards. One of the main ones which keeps popping up seems to be a solid understanding of Algorithms. I've searched up a good collection of books and courses to check out once I give myself some time. If I can get through 1-2 of the books that I downloaded I think I will be greatly ahead of many other Jr Web Devs when you combine my other knowledge and experience I've been accumulating.

I finally did a few Exercism.io projects and found those to be entertaining. I have only done 3, so they weren't extremely difficult. What I did learn is that I enjoy solving problems :)

And...I DID get Super Mario Bros Wii U today. Although I haven't been spending any long hours playing video games (or even at all really) I have been able to enjoy it so far since the levels only last a couple of minutes at most, so it is a great relaxer in between my  2 hour study block sessions.

Well, we are at a long enough update for now. Still no word on if I got the job but I am 95% sure I will land it. Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment