Saturday, May 9, 2015

Recap for Week One of "Discipline Month"

Sleepy Sleepy!

Interesting first week of my whole "discipline" month. I am really liking the habit structure overall. I can tell that making all of these important things habits is going to elevate the level of what I get done by a huge amount.

So far the trend for this week has been exhaustion though. I haven't been able to stay productive for really an entire section of time let alone both splits of productive working time I've scheduled. For a few days I've had to just pass out and sleep for a few more  hours.

I'm chalking that up to starting Insanity. My body is just physically tired PLUS working on mentally tiring coding problems is causing the overload. Overall I predict this to be temporary. I recall back when I did P90X years ago that the first 2-3 weeks were hell.

My roommates also are helping to confirm that I'll be tired for this first month, and then I'll have a lot of excess energy (or probably in my case, just enough to get through what I've scheduled haha)

Not as bad as I thought it would be

Interestly, I haven't had to "punish" myself at all. I've done really well with sticking to the plan and not cheating at all. I really don't want to get slapped, and I REALLY want my coffee and chocolate rewards so...hey I guess I did well on those choices hehe.

Need a better way to track time

I've been a little bit indecisive on the app I was going to build. I want to do the habits thing, but I just got the idea today to tweak it a bit and integrate some pomodoro stuff into it based on my experiences with Kanban so far. What I would like to do is make...instead of creating the tasks and tracking them, I'd like to have a timer I click and it beeps at me after the interval, and then I enter in what I got done during that time.

Overall it would be similar but it would allow me to track periods of time when I usually don't...in other words I'm getting through the day with like 3-5 hours of pomodoro but I have no idea where the rest of the time went! This is because sometimes I'll spend half an hour here or an hour there doing various things which weren't written down so I don't start the timer.

Anyway, that's the idea.

A NEW challenger approaches!

This afternoon, and through Tuesday I'll be visiting home so it will be interesting to see how that effects my habits / productivity being away. I'll have to push myself pretty hard to still do the Insanity workouts. I think I can strike a balance of keeping up the habits and enjoying my visit to family so I'll just have to work with the challenge.

I've been given the opportunity to do enough freelance to keep my bills paid, so I'll probably skip taking another random crappy $11/hr job to stay afloat and that should allow me to actually allocate more time to learning and content creation. I really want to begin putting out more videos AND blog posts, so I'll think through that later.

Ideas

One idea I had though, was to make some sort of short coding tips website similar to RailsClips, Egghead.io, or Ruby Tapas. I think a mix of those with my own style would be a lot of fun for me. Again though, it will require some thinking out before I take that leap. For now I'll keep doing my blog posts and youtube vids.

Anyway, as a TLDR...first week went well. Few stumbles and definitely need lots of improvement but I'm not unhappy with the progress. Will push on and try to ramp up!

No comments:

Post a Comment