Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Enlightenment?

So, day 2 of my 1 week "break." Not quite sure how it will go, but I can say it
is difficult! I am doing my best to not think about trying to work on a project.
I do notice I tense up quite a bit when my mind wanders to the idea that I
should be getting stuff done, but I am working on being as meditative and
relaxed about doing nothing as I can.

Instead of listening to podcasts all day and while going to work, I tried to
just relax and be mindful of everything, listen to the cars pass by, and enjoy
the warmth and the wind from outside. Sounds all woo woo, but honestly I could
feel the stress and tension slowly fade a bit that I would normally be
experiencing.

Clearly my super high velocity 80 hour a week studying was catching up. I didn't
think about it so much, but I'll be sure to plan out the next few weeks of
crunch time to better account for recharge time. I've decided I'll only work on
the super important stuff for 6-8 pomodoros in the morning, and always be done
with that stuff by 10am, at which time I cannot do any more and I can free
myself to chill a bit and exercise or check email / chat with people.

I'll iterate on this as necessary, but right now I'm settling on 4 days of
coding time, 2 days for creative work, and 1 "free" day to do whatever I want,
whether it's a different side project, or just hanging out with buddies etc...as
long as it doesn't involve my normal "work"

I'm also a bit upset about a recent change at work. From now on, anyone with ANY
electronic device will be instantly terminated. WTF? So that means no more
relaxing laptop time in between calls to read and study. Whatever, just means I
REALLY need to push hard to get a job ASAP. I can't do that crap for long.

Well, let's see how I feel after a few more days of forced vacation. I don't
really know what to do with myself to be honest, but I'm hoping I can enjoy it
and really let my mind go from the "I HAVE TO GET SHIT DONE" mode that has
started to wear me out after 4 months straight.

No comments:

Post a Comment