Thursday, March 5, 2015

I feel like I am getting close! (to being hired)

My website is beginning to look a lot better. I did a redesign on many elements,
and I feel pretty good about it. The only thing I still want to improve is
getting a better looking header / hero image at the top.

Finishing up the Test trails for Upcase was way harder than I thought. Just
wrapping my head around the code wasn't so easy, as they give literally no good
examples, and just say "here do this thing".

I was able to get through the fundamentals section, but only through the first
part of the test doubles. I am getting the hang of it now, but it just took a
while. Also, another reason I didn't finish it up, was that I ended up spending
some time asking questions about getting jobs from someone in my Ruby slack
group.

I ended up tweeting out a few people, sending some e-mails, and applying for a
couple of jobs. I got a call from someone local here that said they may have a
Jr spot for me at Rackspace, and they want me to come in on Tuesday to chat, so
that is awesome!

I also applied for a remote position at Big Astronaut, and they sent me this
freaking massive questionnaire covering everything from Ruby, Rails, Javascript,
HTML, Git, and Agile practices. Wow, ridiculous haha. I've already spent 6 1/2
hours filling some of the sections out because I had to look a few things up,
and some of the questions needed to be answered a bit more in depth. So far the
front end questions have been the longest and hardest, maybe because that is
where some of my weak points lie?

I was extremely exhausted yesterday, and ended up taking a mid day 5 hour nap
haha. I wonder if it is in part because of my picking up on the running and
exercise. Since my roommate James has done enough of the research on the
various supplements, I just bought about 80 bucks worth of things to help out
like protein and some other things. I'll probably start to look into more
workout things I can do, so that I can be more well rounded in my exercise.

So, yea there's that! I'm looking forward to sending off this tech question
thing, and hopefully getting some responses from the feelers I send out to
companies. Of course I'll be working to improve my portfolio as soon as I can,
now that I will have people reviewing the work.

So, until next time...peace out!

No comments:

Post a Comment