Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Time to learn Meteor.js

Hi there! So I had good success with getting interviews past 2 days. I had a really good
face-to-face with Matthew at Test Double, and was told I would be a good fit for
their culture. Today however he said they are looking for more experienced devs.
Overall I'm okay with that, just means I need to build more projects. It's
pretty well known that it is tough for juniors to get spots, and they are a top
notch company.

I met with the CTO of big asronaut today also, and he wants me to learn and
build an app in Meteor, and could bring me on as an apprentice. I wouldn't be
making much money, but it would be akin to an internship so that could possibly
work out...and I REALLY like Meteor.js. I believe it might just be the future of
the web...not that Rails is going anywhere. We will see.

Other than that, not too many interesting things going on. I was focusing on
learning TDD by going through the workshop at upcase. I'll be putting it on hold
and changing my week's priority to building a Meteor app for now, as that will
be my best bet for now at moving into a better position.

In about an hour of time, I've already created a simple todo app in Meteor so that is
promising. Here it is http://colby-todo-woohoo.meteor.com

I ordered a 27" 1440 monitor. I've begun realizing that having 3 screens isn't
so useful as a programmer, and in fact is just distracting. I'll be better
suited by swapping workspaces to look things up, and I can use a 2nd monitor to
view training videos or a live preview of a site I am working on, but otherwise
it isn't so useful to have more than just my main screen with as much going on
there as I can fit.

I joined up with a Facebook group / google hangouts group that are focusing on
The Odin Project and am tryin to lend my help. I think that will be a good way
for me to contribute and see what problems newer learners are having so that I
can use that knowledge in the future to make learning resources, which
ultimately is what I would like to do.

I still am torn on if I should create a new domain other than colbycheeze.com.
Perhaps switch to ColbyWilliams.com, or make something centered around what I'd
like to teach, or what topics I like to write about. Something around the topic
of productivity + web development. Well, I'm bad at locking down those decisions
so for now I'll just put it on my "to think about" list.

No comments:

Post a Comment