Monday, March 9, 2015

Super Learning is Fun

It feels like a lot longer period of time than it actually has. I am glad I
decided to write these every two days, because I already am having trouble
remembering what has transpired. Possibly part of it has been due to my new
schedule at work and being transferred to a night team with a ton of downtime.

I spend that time doing coding challenges, reading articles, and tweaking my
website. I've been able to get my portfolio page completed, and I am feeling
good about how it was coded. I put together a local data store with yaml in
order to keep the code 'DRY'. The rest is just a simple template that has some
fancy schmancy cards and a mouseover shadow. Fun stuff!

All I need to do now is get a cool front page set up. I still have to figure out
how I want to do that...bit of a block there. I could do something like a big
full page picture of me doing something interesting, with icon links to my blog,
twitter, etc... That might be a good start (or even end).

I've been working on finding companies to work for, and have gotten a call from
a recruiter that is looking to place me locally. I've also got another call
lined up for another remote company. I would love to be a remote worker because
I am so used to that environment already, and it would be nice to have the
freedom to move around etc.

I spent a few hours today trying to get the League Junkies Vagrant setup working
on my machine and just had zero success. I swear everything I try to do meets
huge walls haha. Even things that should be simple. It's funny too because I
had Sashi working with me on Slack the whole time. No worries though, I'll be up
and running soon enough.

Super Learning

I've been getting through this super learner programing and really enjoying it.
It is getting into speed reading, but this one is a bit different. They focus
more on learning how to memorize things as a baseline for learning to speed
read. You create markers from words as you read through which are associated
with images and animations in your head, so that your recall is boosted
dramatically.

I've been practicing memorization techniques, peripheral vision stretching, and
overdoing the amount of WPM I can read each day. Hopefully I can get good enough
with the memory stuff to rapidly learn all of these new frameworks and get
really good with knowing where to look for the various components of each
system.

Overall, I'm feeling good about where I am headed. I just want to keep building
awesome things and get shifted into the next phase of life. Next chat, we should
have an update on how some of my plans are evolving for the rest of the month!

No comments:

Post a Comment