Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Networking like a boss!

Last two days have been great for solidifying my learning of Meteor. I finished
up the Discover Meteor book, and posted up the projects I've done for my
portfolio. Other than that, I was able to schedule another initial phone
interview for this coming Monday, so I am excited there.

Yesterday was quite awesome in my opinion. I found some great resources by going
through community links and watching some Q&A vids from Josh Owens Meteor Club.
He has a Slack group, which I joined into and the authors from some of the books
I've got are in there as well.

I was able to make a few contacts and have been chatting with Josh himself, and
might even do some pairing with him on one of his projects. I set up a call with
another guy to discuss some Javascript concepts, as he just went through about
20 interviews and so I figured I could get some insight into how that process
looks.

Overall I am pushing very hard to reach out to as many people as I can because
networking is how the world works when it comes to getting a job! I'm doing my
best to give back also in any way I can. I am always offering help to noobies
from various chats, as I know that what goes around comes around.

I've decided for this next week I'll try to work on my deeper knowledge and
understanding of Javascript itself. I want to really be sure I can understand
the important concepts like .this, closures, objects, how to do OOP in it,
prototypical inheritence vs classical..all of that stuff. I get it enough to
code things and solve problems but I want to be able to explain all of the deeper concepts
things easily.

I'm going to watch a few videos on Javascript, read through Javascript the good
parts, and also "You don't know JS" series. On top of that, I'll be doing a
couple of code wars and exercism.io challenges. I think that should put me in a
good position overall. I'll be able to do all of that by the end of the week,
and if I finish it up I'll most likely work on finishing up some articles and
book reading on using Velocity the Meteor testing framework.

That's it for now, really. I'm looking forward to seeing where some of these new
connections will lead! Talk to you in a few days :)

No comments:

Post a Comment